Spyware and Adware are becoming very difficult to be removed from Computer systems this days. Many times it could be very frustrating. Neverheless there are tips on how to remove adware and spyware that could make the process easier and more effective.
- In a situation of heavily infected system, download the spyware and adware removal program from a clean system and burn it on a clean CD. Instead of a CD, if you intend to use a USB drive to transfer the downloaded files, do not forget to disable autorun on both the clean system used for the download and your infected system.
- Ensure that all open browser windows and applications (including email) are closed and then disconnect your PC from the Internet.
- It is rather amazing that some of the applications identified as adware and spyware have fully functioning uninstallers that will cleanly remove the program. The first thing to be done is to remove the suspended software through the Add / Remove programs in Windows control Panel. Check through the software listed in installed programs if the unwanted program is listed, simply highlight it and click the Remove button. If you are using Windows Vista, the Add / Remove Programs feature is listed in Control Panel as Programs and Features.
- Having removed the program identified as adware or spyware via Control Panel's Add / Remove Programs, reboot the computer. Ensure that you reboot the system after you have uninstalled the adware or spyware, even if you are not prompted to do so.
- The next step after you've disconnected from the Internet, removed any adware or spyware listed in Add / Remove Programs, and rebooted the computer, is to run a full system scan using an up-to-date antivirus scanner. This is better done in Safe Mode. In case you do not have antivirus installed, obtain one of these top-rated antivirus scanners or one of these free antivirus scanners.
- Even though scanning the system in Safe Mode is an effective way to remove spyware and adware but some may still prove stubborn. In case the adware or spyware persists since the above efforts, you'll need to get access to the drive without allowing the adware or spyware to load. This could be achieved through the use of bootable CD like BartPE bootable CD. After booting with the CD locate the installed antivirus and rescan the system
- Having satisfactorily scanned and remove the adware and / or spyware programs, ensure that you installed an effective anti spyware like spyware removal. This will prevent the spyware and adware reintegrating itself when the computer is reconnecting to the Internet.
- Always be careful about the freeware or shareware programs you download next time in order to prevent re-spyware infections, be discriminating about what programs you install on your PC